Isaiah 54:5-8 (NIV) For your Maker is your husband— the LORD Almighty is his name—the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer; he is called the God of all the earth. The LORD will call you back as if you were a wife deserted and distressed in spirit— a wife who married young, only to be rejected," says your God. "For a brief moment I abandoned you, but with deep compassion I will bring you back. In a surge of anger I hid my face from you for a moment, but with everlasting kindness I will have compassion on you," says the LORD your Redeemer.
Dr. David Platt recently preached a message entitled "The Gospel and Singleness". I really enjoyed it and you should check out his messages on the church website if you want to hear it too. (http://www.brookhills.org/media/default.htm)
It was good to look back at what the OT said about marriage and how to view marriage and singleness in light of Christ's work on the cross.
Once again I have gotten some perspective on things in my life. One of the most profound things that I already knew but needed to be reminded of is that in the view of Eternity, we must view things on earth as temporary and only a shadow of things to come for us as a part of the Bride of Christ.
It reminds me of the song Acres of Hope by Shane and Shane (one of my favorite artists). It comes from Hosea 2:14-16.
“Lord, sustain me in the valley. Give me ears to hear Your sweet tender voice and lead me in to acres of hope in this dry and weary land.”"Therefore I am now going to allure her; I will lead her into the desert and speak tenderly to her. There I will give her back her vineyards, and will make the Valley of Achor a door of hope. There she will sing as in the days of her youth, as in the day she came up out of Egypt. ‘In that day,’ declares the LORD,’you will call me 'my husband'; you will no longer call me 'my master.
Father, help me to call you now, my husband. Father, let me look to you to be that in my life right now. Help me to remember that this earth is not my final destination and though the gift of marriage is good, but the gift of singleness is good too. Help me to be a good steward of my time as a single person. Help me to learn to be selfless and not selfish. Help me to learn to submit my desires for things and people to you and allow you to carry those in your hands and for me to give my heart to do your will. Help me find my satisfaction in you so that you may be most glorified in me. Help me to wait on you for the next step in my life. Help me to trust with all of my heart that you are true to your promises. I know you don't change and you never fail. Father, help me to trust that when I don't see things that I have been praying for or things I feel you have told me come to pass. Help me to trust in your timing and your best for me because it is all for your glory. I pray and believe all these things, in Jesus precious name, Amen!
No comments:
Post a Comment