Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Confession of a Planner


So with the theme I believe God has given me for the year, "Let Go!" , part of that letting go is planning. I am a planner. It's one of the things God has gifted me to do. I'm a details person. I recently told a friend, who sees herself as a visionary, "Visionaries would never get anything done without people like me." She agreed. Planning and details are necessary to carry out the vision.

However, sometimes I go overboard with planning. For example, the fact that in second grade I thought I had my life planned out until I was forty years old. (Who does this?) I wanted to be an attorney and then go into politics with the end goal being POTUS. Looking back, those plans were all about me and my accomplishments and what mark I wanted to leave on this world. It was all about me.

I've since then learned that being a disciple of Christ is to surrender my plan to His plan for me and how He chooses to use me for His glory. My life is not my own, so I do not get to plan my life or do only what pleases me. How counter culture is that? We live in a YOLO world, but God calls us to give up this philosophy and remember that we will live forever with Him.

      For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for 
      calamity to give you a future and a hope. (Jeremiah 29:11)

     Many plans are in a man's heart, But the counsel of the LORD will stand. (Proverbs 19:21)

      The mind of man plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps(Proverbs 16:9)

      Commit your works to the Lord And your plans will be established. (Proverbs 16:3)

      This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus 
      Christ whom You have sent. (John 17:3)

      For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption,   
      but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. (Galatians 6:8)


Let's not be those who sow in the flesh, but rather those who sow to the Spirit. Allow Him to take your life and make it into a masterpiece for His glory and it will be for your good. 

No comments: